Sunday, October 30, 2011

Romance


This is the first part of our love story. Enjoy!




He refills my glass every time it gets empty



Back in high school, there was this guy I know, but I didn’t consider him as one of my friends. To me, he was just another schoolmate. A lot of my closest male buddies were friends with him. Even so, no friendship was ever developed between us then. Perhaps, at some point, we nod at each other when our path crosses along school grounds but if we really did, I cannot remember. We graduated still strangers to one another. The friendship between me and my male buddies continues even after high school. Sometimes, I still see this guy in several of our get-togethers, but still, we never talked. 

I think our “real friendship” started when we went on vacation with some of our friends in Boracay (one of the most beautiful Island in the Philippines). On that trip, I found out that he is not snob at all, which I thought he was. I learned that he is sensible to talk to and has unlimited supplies of funny things to say that brought me writhing in laughter. Since then, he became a regular person in my life. He became my constant text-correspondents. He joined my friends when they visited me at home. I found out a lot of things about him, the good side, and even the darkest side. I am good at persuading people to tell me more than what they want to share.  I guess it’s the Social Worker in me, always probing and digging deeper. And this guy did not escape the nosy me. He let on more than he should. Although, I truly like him as a friend, it crossed my mind, never to date a guy like him.

As months passed by, our friendship continues to grow. There were times when I and my other friends visit his place, which at that time, he occupies alone. It’s their “other house”. It’s near where I used to work, so there were numerous occasions when I attend to his invitation to have dinner with him, and sometimes he invites our friends to come over too. He cooked for me/us, he refilled my glass when it gets empty and he won’t let me help him clean up after eating. He turned out to be one of my favorite male friends because I can ask him to do almost anything for me when I’m too lazy to it for myself, which happens a lot.  Whenever he visits home, he’ll text me first and asks what I want to eat. I’m not shy, not to my closest friends at least, and we were close friends at this point. I will tell him what I want, and viola, he will arrive home carrying my most-wanted-to-eat-food. Also, in several get-togethers with friends, we always arrive together because we arranged to meet at one place before heading towards our hang out place. He always carries my stuff too. Before I even realized how close we were, he became more and more involved in my life. He called every morning to wake me up, so that I will not be late for work. He was the last person to say goodnight to me, through text or phone call. He’s my new male-best-friend.

Did I feel then that he has special feelings for me? No. I’m dense, that’s what my friends told me. I will never assume or even suspect that a guy is hitting on me even if, his actions speak louder than words. I’ve been around male species long enough to understand that their sweet gestures do not always mean, “I like you more than friends”.   Turned out, my friends were right. He likes me more than friends. When he told me so, I don’t know what to do. He’s nice and all, but I still have trust issues. What I know about his past didn’t help either. I think I like him then too, but I was afraid to commit and make another mistake. I told him I can’t return his love and we can just stay friends. However, I cannot forget the way he treated me. He’s the only person I know who will constantly refill my glass when it gets empty, without being told. I also think he can be a good boyfriend or is he?

I thought things will change between us after that. After all, the pursuit was over. For me, everything was just a show, a part of his plot to win my heart. His way of letting me see him as a wonderful guy, someone he thinks I will never resists.  I was wrong. He stays the same and even better. He said, he enjoys treating me that way, and he will not ask anything in return. Being friends is alright with him, he just wants to continue taking good care of me. He said, I made him a better person and he wanted to continue that way.

Five years have passed, and that guy remains to be one of my faithful friends.  He did not change a little. I can say that I know him better now. I can trust him with all my heart and I know he will never get tired of loving me no matter how complicated I could get. Today, I remember that time when he refills my glass with water over and over again and my heart swells because he’s still doing that for me and more. I realized long time ago that it’s not part of the plan, its part of who he really is. I think, at that early stage of our friendship, I already know I want someone like him, I just don’t want to admit it or I was just too focused on what’s wrong rather than what will truly make me happy. I’m glad that I made the right decision in allowing myself to fall in love with this guy, five years ago. I’m thankful to God because he gave me such a wonderful guy for a future husband. I never asked for him. God gave him to me because He knows what I need. A guy who will be constant in taking good care of me and do things for me, because I’m too lazy even for my own good. A guy who will say I’m beautiful every single day, because I can be insecure. A guy who will endure my mood swings and still love me for it, because I have the worst PMS. A guy I can trust, because I’ve been too afraid to trust for a long time.

Some of you might say this guy must be crazy to withstand all of who I am. Maybe he is, but you know what? I may not be the perfect girl. Yet, this guy will tell you, as he tells me over and over again, that I made him a better person and he did the same to me. I guess we’re just lucky.

I hope you enjoyed reading that glimpse from our history and did not fall asleep in the process. Thanks for being here! Have a loving day everyone!

PS. This is supposed to be an anniversary post, which was last Friday. However, I’ve been busy. I don’t want to let the occasion passed without  honoring it by writing a blog post.



38 comments:

  1. That's really sweet. :* I hope you guys would stay stronger as time goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!You have the swetest love story!
    Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary to you both. What a sweet love story. You both are meant to be, sis. It's great that you are marrying your best friend, you know you'll always love and look after each other. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo sweet! Happy anniversary! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I greeted you both on my last comment but I would like to greet you both again. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I know endless happiness awaits you guys. For me you're a perfect couple not in a sense that you are perfect but because you complete and complement each other in a way no one can do.

    When your glass is half empty he will refill it with love and care and by that you will always see it half full because the emptiness had already faded.

    You inspired me a lot with your stories and thanks for sharing them with us. Take care Twin sis and I am very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahaha i need a guy who will endure my pms and mood swings also lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blog yang simpel dan menarik, penuh inspirasi bagi penulis lainnya... Sangat senang jika pemilik blog ini juga berkunjung ke blogku dan memberikan kritik dan sarannya :P Apa lagi bertukar link dan follow :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. oohh my....sweet mayen..Wala akong masabi sa inyo, dapat ba akong mainggit? syempre oo dapat lang at kuha ng tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely story... wow.. magadna ang pagkakagawa.. a poetic in style... Happy Anniversary Mayen sa inyo ni Jed.... ehehhe...

    Always remeber this Mayen... if a guy will cry infront of you becuase he was hurt becuase of wht you did,... don't be mad at him.. he was just truly loving you... if a guy will step on his ego and pride just to show you he cares for you.. don't be mad.. he just truly love you... a guy who truly loves a woman can do all the craziest thing in the world just to be with his princess.... trust... I've been true all that...

    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.... just don't forget my invitations...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy...

    Inggit ako.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe.. Ang sweet-sweet kasi, cn't healp myself. lol.

    Napaka kiligtothebones and lovestory nyo. Happy anniversary!! :D Keep the love alive. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a long read but love it... i love this story! so sweet...

    It’s a GIRL Thing

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet naman!! I enjoyed reading your story! Happy Anniversary to both of you! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate you! reading your post in early morning..oh grh! umiyak ako! hay hirap ng loveless hahahaha....

    dito ako na paiyak ng bongga!

    God gave him to me because He knows what I need. A guy who will be constant in taking good care of me and do things for me, because I’m too lazy even for my own good. A guy who will say I’m beautiful every single day, because I can be insecure. A guy who will endure my mood swings and still love me


    Happy anniversary...God bless and much love for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww, I was thinking who this guy is. Hahaha. Xenxa sis I'm so slow. Got teary eyed. Promise. Hahaha. Ang drama ko lang siguro ngayon.

    I'm happy that you found him, sis. :) I hope I can find mine, too. That I can be able to let go of all the love that is inside my heart. I have sent you an email, btw. :) Happy anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWWWW
    THIS IS SO CUTE, SUCH A LOVELY STORY.
    i'm SO happy for you, and happy anniversary :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. haay. sarap mainlove over and over again :) haha. Mayen, baka naman ma-bochog ka na nyan sa kaka-refill nya ng tubig mo. joke! :)

    hepi anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Umi thanks Umi. you are really sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Sey those are super nice things to say twin sis but you always come up with the nicest things to say about me and jed. thanks twin sis for always being there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Marcia B. haha.. it really helps to have someone who understands how PMS works. They know not to take you seriously during that time of the month. lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Akoni ahehe.. I'm glad you like it. You told me that several times sa twitter and my heart is rejoicing knowing someone as good as you in story telling liked what i did. thanks akoni. superrr.. your love story is very inspiring as well. Many years of happiness for you and heaven. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @musingan Thanks Al. ganun? poetic talaga, super palakpak naman tenga ko dyan. Ok let's not dwell on the crying thing na because we spent hours discussing that sa twitter.

    I love what you said here. I you are like that, I'm sure you'll make a girl very happy someday and I want to know all about it. thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kahit late na.. Happy Anniversary Ate MAyen and Kuya Jed, and best wishes in advance.. :))

    Kuya Jed is so lucky to have you ate. You're one in a million and of course you are also lucky to have him.. and yes! i do agree you're both lucky.

    At buti nalang kasama ako sa entourage kasi ang lucky ko din na nakilala kita.. magiging bridesmaid na din ako.. hahaa

    alam muna man ate na sobrang masaya ako para sayo.. ganun kita kamahal.. see you so soon ate.. please tell kuya Jed Happy Birthday in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Leah thanks MS. so adorable super leah. hehe.. I'm glad you liked it. I'm sure pinapakilig ka din naman ng honey mo. ahehe.. feeling ko lang meron because of your tweet. haha..

    ReplyDelete
  25. @CutestPrincess sorry I gave you a long read. :) I don't usually write this long if you would check my other posts you'll know, but since it's our story i thought of breaking my own rules. hehe.. i tried to shorten it though. yet, it's impossible. I'm glad you liked it though and thanks for spending time reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. @anney thanks anney. Thanks for taking time reading it. you know i love your blog as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @SunnyToast Awww.. so sorry naman sis for making you cry. Don't worry I shead tears din naman nung snulat. I'm just happy and I want to share the world.

    I'm sure someday you'll find that one person who will accept and love you for who you really are. I'm certain of that. And don't forget, I'd lov to know all about it. hehe.. I'm nosy, just so you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Miss `Chievous Ikaw din. I'm glad there is one person na nalito. that's the effect I'm trying to establish here but i guess since I talk about jed in every post no one will believe that I'm talking about a different guy. lol. You must really really tired emotionally and physically to miss that. hehe.. thanks for everything sis. Thanks for trusting me. I'll always be here for you. Promise. I'm just an email away. I'm so glad I come to know you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. @PurpleMist. Purple Mist, sweetie, I've missed you. Thanks dear. I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. @haze oo sis, mana ako sayo laging inlove. hehe.. uu nga baka nga mabondat na ako kaka-inom ng tubig. haha.. ikaw talaga.. love you sis.. stay happy and in love din. ayiii..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mayen, hun, this made me cry. This is such a special story. I love it. I'm so very happy for you, friend! May the legacy continue forever and ever after! God bless you both! :) :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. awww. this was so sweet. i didn't know you guys went so far back. happy anniversary to you guys and more power! stay strong! :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. God bless the both of you. :) Such a very sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awww... The love story. ♥♥♥

    Howdy mayen. You have an awesome blog here. I hope you start writing again.

    a.k.a. Kayren :) remember?

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comment.